SFX MAKEUP 101 – Lets Make a Monster will help you bring your Halloween and Cosplay costumes to the next level, teaching you how to effectively apply foam latex prosthetics, cuts, bruises, hair application and more!
Register now for the first class and get the SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICE.
- 4 Week Class
- Weeks 1-3 Weeks - Thursdays
- September 19th-October 3rd
- 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Inspiration Room
- Week 4- Saturday
- October 12th
- 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Lone Star Room
- Introductory Price - Early Registration - $65 (thru September 6th)
- Introductory Price - Late Registration - $75 (September 7th-19th)
Week 1 – Demonstration Class With Hands On Application
- Discussion on the basics of cleanliness and safety
- Practice basic bruising using cream makeup
- Create Injuries using liquid latex.
- Individual consultation regarding final makeups goals to ensure you have the appropriate materials needed for your final masterpiece.
Week 2 –Demonstration Class
- No supplies required
- Full demonstration of how to apply a foam latex prosthetic, with removal.
Week 3 – Demonstration Class
- No supplies required
- Bald cap application
- Eye brow blocking
- Crepe hair application.
Week 4 – Grand Finale, Hands on Class with Full Face Application
- Saturday Event
- Materials Needed
- Model Required - should be 16 or older.
- Individual Make-Up Creations
- Full Face Prosthetic application to your own model to bring your vision to life
- Application can take up to 4 hours depending on the extent of what you have chosen to create
- Bring water (with straw or spout) and lunch or snacks.
- Once your masterpiece is complete, we will have a photographer ready to capture your final looks.
Materials can be purchased through Mostlydead.com, Fxwarehouse.info , and fxfaces.com, Amazon.com
You will need these items for the fourth week only when you will create your masterpiece, an individual and unique creation of a full face application. Feel free to wait until after our first class to make your purchases. Having a specific foam latex prosthetic in mind will help me, help you buy the right materials for your character
- Pros aide
- Foam latex prosthetic
- Pallet knife
- Makeup wedges
- 99% isopropyl alcohol
- Pros aide removal (recommend Ben Nye’s Bond Off)
- Cream makeups appropriate for your final makeup
- Alcohol based pigments appropriate for final makeup
- Acrylic Paint
About the Instructor:
Courtney Scherer has over 5 years of experience in special effects makeup. Her journey began in Denver Colorado with her first class at Monster Makeup FX in March, 2014. She then went on to take a beauty makeup class before returning to Monster Makeup FX to compete for an internship. Courtney successfully completed two character makeups at the Boulder International Film Festival competition winning her spot as an intern working under the infamous artist, “Monster Midian Crosby of Monster Makeup FX. She completed and assisted in many projects with Crosby increasing her knowledge, improving her skills and establishing relationships with local photographers while applying makeup and creating elaborate headpieces for numerous photoshoots. Courtney maintained her internship until January, 2018 when she moved to Houston. She now looks forward to working with the JSC community teaching Special Effects Makeup and creating new relationships at NASA’s Gilruth Center.