Photography Basics is Starport's flagship photography class with NASA Photographer, Bill Stafford. This introduction to photography will get you extremely comfortable with your digital camera!
See date changes in Red below
- 5 Week Class
- May 2nd - 30th
- 6:00 - 7:30 PM
- Gilruth Center - Lone Star Room
- Required: A digital camera that can be set to manual
- Early Registration: $90.00 (until April 21st)
- Standard Registration: $110.00 (April 22nd-May 2nd)
- Digital camera that can be set to full Manual Settings
- Have or have access to a computer
- Familiarity with Adobe Bridge or other photographer program encouraged, not required
What to bring to class:
- Digital camera
- Memory Cards
- Charged batteries
- Owner’s manual for camera
- Intro to the plan for the class (here is what we will do for the next 5 weeks)
- First class is getting the "eye" for photography, what makes up a photograph? (Composition, Exposure, Focus, etc.)
- Review examples of photos and discuss ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture.
- Get in groups and practice composition, exposure, and focus technique
- Homework: take several pictures of the same thing but change the ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture and will critique next class
- What is Composition and how does it affect your photos
- Visual Psychology - what is it and how this affects your photos
- Review images from students for ~30 min..
- Homework: Use Composition elements to make photos for critique.
- Color Psychology, what it is and how it affects your photos
- Natural lighting and how to use it.
- review images from students for ~30 min.
- Homework: Take several photos with emphasis on Lighting and Color
- Tips, Tricks, and Techniques
- Sports, Long exposures, Moving objects
- Review images from students for ~30 min.
- Homework: Portfolio Prep, get ready to showcase your best work!
- PORTFOLIO DAY
- Review of the class / show best of…
- Class critique