Photography Basics is Starport's flagship photography class with NASA Photographer, Bill Stafford. This introduction to photography will get you extremely comfortable with your digital camera!
- 5 Week Class
- February 4th - March 3rd
- 6:00 - 7:30 PM
- Gilruth Center - Lone Star Room
- Required: A digital camera that can be set to manual
- Early Registration: $90.00 (through January 31st)
- Standard Registration: $110.00
- Digital camera that can be set to full Manual Settings
- Have or have access to a computer
- Familiarity with Adobe Bridge or other photographer program encouraged, not required
What to bring to class:
- Digital camera
- Memory Cards
- Charged batteries
- Owner’s manual for camera
- Intro to the plan for the class (here is what we will do for the next 5 weeks)
- First class is getting the "eye" for photography, what makes up a photograph? (Composition, Exposure, Focus, etc.)
- Review examples of photos and discuss ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture.
- Get in groups and practice composition, exposure, and focus technique
- Homework: take several pictures of the same thing but change the ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture and will critique next class
- What is Composition and how does it affect your photos
- Visual Psychology - what is it and how this affects your photos
- Review images from students for ~30 min..
- Homework: Use Composition elements to make photos for critique.
- Color Psychology, what it is and how it affects your photos
- Natural lighting and how to use it.
- review images from students for ~30 min.
- Homework: Take several photos with emphasis on Lighting and Color
- Tips, Tricks, and Techniques
- Sports, Long exposures, Moving objects
- Review images from students for ~30 min.
- Homework: Portfolio Prep, get ready to showcase your best work!
- PORTFOLIO DAY
- Review of the class / show best of…
- Class critique