New Update 9/17/2020
Starport’s mission is “to empower lives and promote the overall well-being of the JSC team”. This being said, due to the uncertainties associated with balancing COVID-19 concerns and reopening, Starport will reopen in stages following NASA's Return to Work Framework to reduce the risk to our NASA – JSC team.
We understand that other national and local businesses are beginning to reopen, however please note that Starport may not follow the same timelines/guidelines as the other local businesses.
Starport serves the NASA – JSC team and is part of the federal government, we continues to work with the Pandemic Incident Response Group (PIRG), Center Leadership, Occupational Health and Safety, as well as Center Operations to determine when it is safe and appropriate to open each line of our business. Starport will continue to work with the Agency to create as safe as possible environments that adhere to CDC guidelines, and account for social distancing recommendations, capacity monitoring, and increased cleaning throughout the day for your protection.
Please reference each line of business below for specifics:
- B30 Micro Market has remained open and will continue to be serviced
- Vending Machines will remain stocked and will continue to be serviced
- B3 Café coffee bar unfortunately had to close due to a low volume of customers and people onsite. Full café Food Services will re-open as COVID prevention measures can be implemented and demand dictates
- B11 Food Services will re-open as COVID prevention measures can be implemented and demand dictates
- 4S Snack Shop - is open for business! It's more than a snack shop, with everything from barbecue plates to hamburgers. Follow the shop on Facebook to view the daily menu and pre-order your food ahead of .time
Wellness & Fitness
Personal fitness is extremely important to our wellness as individuals and as a team. However, the ability to reduce our health risks related to the pandemic requires us to put the safety of all our staff here on earth and in orbit as our number one priority.
- Fitness Center – Sorry our fitness center remains closed at this time. According to the NASA's Return to Work Framework, our fitness center will aim to reopen when the center reaches Stage One
- The same great qualities of our fitness center such as opportunities for friendly socialization, motivation and availability of state-of-the-art equipment unfortunately also create possible risks factors for spreading COVID-19. As we prepare to reopen our doors we are also paying close attention to the best practices and increased risks/reported cases from the private sector
- Given we believe fitness is instrumental to our NASA – JSC team’s health, we will continue to provide alternative wellness & fitness options through our online engaging content and virtual fitness to keep you active while our facility is closed
- Rest assured we are working on plans to make sure, when we can reopen we are able to provide the appropriate cleaning protocols and safe social distancing requirements for your protection
- All Fitness Memberships - Have been paused. In efforts to reduce financial strain during this time, we have stopped all reoccurring membership payments as of 3/17/2020 and will be extending membership expirations for any time missed due to closures for individuals who have been auto drafted in recent days/weeks. All annual members will also get the added time credited to their memberships as well.
- Fitness Equipment Rentals – Interested in getting some equipment for your home use during this time. A select set of exercise equipment (Schwinn Cycles, Rowers, BodyPump® set) are available to rent for indoor use in your home, contact Joel Grant for more details
- B3 and B11 gift shops are closed
- ShopNASA.com is still available for your convenience and safety.
Thank you for your interest in reserving our facility space. Due to numerous health and safety unknowns, we are only accepting reservations on a very limited basis for Gilruth meeting, pavilions, and training spaces. Although it is unclear when Gilruth operations will officially resume, if you would like to make a reservation for October 1 or later and the meeting is needed for:
- Official NASA business, or
- Starport Partner functions
Please send an email to Joel Grant with your request. All other requests will be delayed until full operations resume. Please note, it may take up to 14 days to receive confirmation of your reservation request. In addition, please be aware that given the dynamic nature of group gatherings all Starport operations will need to conform to Center and CDC guidelines at the time of their occurrence.
- Sports Fields and Gymnasium Rentals – Until operations at the Gilruth resume, we will not be accepting reservations for sports fields and gymnasium. Once operations start back up, safety and health considerations will be taken in account as we determine under what circumstances the amenities can be used again
Youth, Sports, Recreation, & Creative Learning
- Youth Activities – Starport has launched many activities for our future NASA team members. Learn more about all the fun youth activities
- Youth Summer Camps – Starport has launched virtual camp programming featuring science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics. Check out 2020 S.T.E.A.M Virtual Camps for more infortmation
- Sports Leagues – Sports leagues are postponed until further notice
- Creative Learning – Creative Learning classes are postponed until further notice. For those who had signed up for Guitar and Ceramics classes refunds will be issued.
- Special Events – The AVA Fun Run has been reimagined into a virtual fun run. Click the AVA link for more details. The Spring Fling and Holiday Bazaar have been officially canceled.
- NASA Golf Tournament – We’ve made the difficult decision to cancel the golf tournament this year. Given the continuing uncertainty with the pandemic and the fact that many key members of our staff are furloughed we will not be able to hold the tournament this year. We will be issuing refunds in July to all who had signed up. If you have any questions, please contact Sam Miller.
In addition to this website, www.jscsos.com is also another good source of up-to-date information on the Center’s operational status. By working together we can limit the spread of COVID-19.