New Update 7/29/21
Starport’s mission is “to empower lives and promote the overall well-being of the JSC team”. However, due to the uncertainties associated with balancing COVID-19 concerns and reopening, Starport will re-open in phases to reduce the risk to our NASA – JSC team.
Starport serves the NASA – JSC team, we continue to work with the Pandemic Incident Response Group (PIRG) and Occupational Health to determine when it is safe and appropriate to open each line of business. Starport will continue to work to create as safe as possible environments that adhere to current COVID-19 guidelines.
Current Mask Policy
On Wednesday, July 28th Melanie Saunders, NASA Deputy Associate Administrator, informed all employees that each NASA Center and facility would be issuing updated geographic-specific requirements for mask wearing per the CDC’s latest guidance.
JSC Center Director Vanessa Wyche followed with an email stating “the area around JSC is considered an area of high transmission for COVID-19”. Since the Gilruth Center is a federal facility, effective July 29th, all Starport members and guests must wear a mask in all buildings regardless of vaccination status.
Masks must be worn throughout the facility and shall cover the nose and mouth and otherwise be in accordance with current CDC and Occupational Safety and Health Administration guidance.
Please reference each line of business below for specific information:
- B3 Café: The in-person IT service center is operating in the dining area until August. Once that service relocates to B8, one or two restaurant options will be available for lunch each day. More details available soon.
- B11 Café: One or two restaurant options will be available for lunch each day starting in late July. More details available soon.
- 4S Snack Shop: is open for business! It's more than a snack shop, with everything from barbecue plates to hamburgers. Follow the shop on Facebook to view the daily menu and pre-order your food ahead of time
- B1 and B30 Micro Markets: have remained open and will continue to be serviced
- Vending Machines: are being stocked and serviced
Wellness & Fitness
Starport has worked diligently with Occupational Health to create a plan to re-open of the fitness center to provide our JSC team with a convenient location to exercise which incorporates numerous COVID-19 prevention measures. Please consider your personal situation before returning to any fitness center.
Starport’s Re-opening Plan Includes:
- Adherence to CDC, administration, agency, center, and industry guidelines (e.g., American College of Sports Medicine and International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association)
- Implementation “best practices” from benchmarking with local and national fitness centers that have been open and successful at reducing members risk to exposure
- Using a 3-Phase approach to re-opening
- The Strength & Cardio Center (SCC)
- Re-opened May 17, 2021 with a limited capacity of 25%
- The interim hours of operation will be Monday-Friday 6 am -7 pm, Saturday & Sunday 8 am - 5 pm
- Group Exercise Classes
- Will be conducted outdoors, currently offering 4 classes
- Classes have moved into the gymnasium with a limited capacity of 25 people, please make sure to reserve your timeslot on our app and/or online member portal for each class
- Virtual options available for at home or travel use on our new app (click here for more info)
- Multiple COVID-19 Prevention Practices in Place:
- Limited capacity restrictions, spatial distancing requirements, additional cleaning measures, staff training and member responsibilities
- Workout reservations
COVID-19 Prevention Measures Include:
- Limiting SCC capacity to 25%
- Requiring reservations to use the facility to manage capacities
- Starport has acquired a new smart phone app and an online member portal tool to make the process as seamless as possible
- To allow access to as many of our members as possible, reservations will be 55-minutes starting on the hour with 5-minute buffer time for out & in traffic
- New arrivals will be asked to wait in cars/outside until 1-2 minutes before the hour
- Implementing several spatial distancing measures to enforce 6’ spatial distancing requirement
- Widened walkway space wherever possible
- Additional fitness equipment wipes stations
- Additional hand sanitizer stations
- Reinforcing COVID-19 prevention messages with visible signage throughout the facility
- Reduced number of cardio machines in SCC
- Installed industrial fan above cardio area to ensure air is circulating
- Facilities engineers assessed HVAC and determined there is fresh air flowing into room
- Installed plexiglass around front desk in fitness lobby
- Implemented contactless membership sign-up, financial transactions and check-in process
- Locker rooms will be open
- However, use of locker rooms is discouraged overall
- If a shower is required
- Option 1: unisex bathroom (single user facility with toilet, sink and shower)
- Option 2: only two shower stalls can be used at one time in each locker room to provide safe spatial distancing
- Locker rooms and unisex bathrooms will be cleaned daily
Additional Staff Training on:
- Managing traffic flow and timing through lobby
- Preventing spread of COVID-19 and how they can protect themselves and members
Additional Member Requirements:
- All fitness center users will be required to sign a form acknowledging they
- Understand COVID -19 symptoms
- Will not come to the fitness center with symptoms
- Will not come to the fitness center if they have had close contact with someone with symptoms or who is suspected of being infected
- Will wear a face covering as per current mandate. Current mandate states, that masks are not required anymore if you have been fully vaccinated and are two-weeks or more post your last vaccination
- Will spatially distance a minimum of 6’ from others when working out
- Members are required to reserve their time slot via our app or online member portal
- Members are required to clean equipment after each use with disinfectant wipes provided
- Personal towels are mandatory
- Observe all signage pertaining to spatial distancing
- Please note for our strength machine area, members will be required to leave every other weight machine open to maintain special distancing – wait to use a machine if someone is on the one “next door”
Phase 2 & 3
- Dates TBD, in consultation with Center leadership and Occupational Health
- SCC capacity expands based on updated guidance from the administration
- Group exercise class location will be re-evaluated for safety of restarting limited indoor sessions
- Transition when local and Center data indicate acceptable level of risk to increase participant numbers
Additional Wellness & Fitness Information:
Given we believe fitness is instrumental to our NASA – JSC team’s health, we will continue to provide alternative wellness & fitness options through our online engaging content and virtual fitness to keep you active.
All Fitness Memberships - Have been paused. In efforts to reduce financial strain on members during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have stopped all reoccurring membership payments as of 3/17/2020. All annual members will receive credited time for any missed duration of their membership.
Please note, to function in the safest and most efficient way a new streamlined membership structure will be introduced soon.
Walking/Running Trails - Onsite and behind the Gilruth are now open. Water stations will be available starting the week of 5/10/21.
Sports Leagues - Sports leagues are postponed until further notice.
Annual NASA Scholarship Golf Tournament - The tournament is scheduled for September 24th, 2021. Please click here for more details and registration information.
- Youth Summer Camps This summer Starport will have both In-Person STEAM & Recreational Camps and Virtual Camps
- Youth Activities – Starport has launched many activities for our future NASA team members. Learn more about all the fun youth activities
- B3, B11 and the Gilruth gift shops are currently closed
- shopNASA.com is still available for your convenience and safety.
Thank you for your interest in reserving our facility spaces. Due to numerous health and safety unknowns, we are only accepting reservations on a limited basis for Gilruth meeting, pavilions, and training spaces.
During Stage 2, only reservation requests for NASA organizations or Starport Partners will be considered. For more information and new COVID-19 guidelines please click here.
Please email Greg Della Longa with your request. All other requests, including Sports Fields and Gymnasium Rentals will be delayed until further notice. Please be aware that given the dynamic nature of group gatherings, all meeting requests must submit specific COVID-19 Prevention Plans following current safety guidelines.
- Creative Learning – Creative Learning classes are postponed until further notice.
By working together, we can limit the spread of COVID-19.